Thursday, December 6, 2018

"THE FOLLOW IN RED" Oil Painting By Seth Harris


 


I am so ever grateful to Seth Harris for using me as one of the subjects of his latest art pieces. I was flattered when he asked me. In all sincerity I had never had anyone to say they wanted to paint me or photograph me personally. As a plus size woman it has not been my reality.  I end up in lots of photos with other people, or by my own request but never been asked! So Seth if you read this I personally want to say thank you...it was an esteem builder! Seth was able to capture my true joy with this Harlem originated dance called the Lindy Hop. I partnered with an amazing dancer Lalaina Rkt (LaLa). And believe it or not we danced for only two hours downtown at Ripley Grier Studios while Seth went to work photographing us dancing to the grooves of Lavendar Coffin by Lionel Hampton, Flying Home by Count Basie, Shiny Stockings by Ella Fitzgerald and host more on LaLa's phone. All the while taking turns with LaLa's wife Mianja because she too would have their special painting done as well.  We changed into different color outfits and I am ever so glad he chose red with my white highlights. I am a member of the best sorority in the world Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and wouldn't you know those are my sorority colors "Crimson and Creme." Seth got it all right! We all went for drinks, shared laughs and brewed with excitement about the paintings to come! And what an amazing job done. I personally have never had a painting or drawing of myself. Lindy Hop makes you happy and Seth has managed to express this in all of the paintings he has done of Lindy community members. I was able to purchase the print copy as well as this bag through Society 6.  My bag has become a talking piece about Lindy Hop and me dancing. People have responded so well to it.  I usually invite people that show interest in the bag out to dance and a few have started attending my events and other events in NYC.



Seth Harris is a Brooklyn based fellow lindy hopper that is also an oil painter.   He is self taught learning the skill while serving as a sailor in the US Merchant Marine.  According to his website www.BrooklynSeth his paintings often emphasize people and places that are important to his life. Particularly his dance paintings, as he has been active in the New York City Lindy Hop and Balboa dance scene for several years. If you would like more information about Seth Harris or his art, visit his website at www.brooklynseth.com



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the opportunity and the experience !!!
    Muchas Gracias !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your commentary!