Friday, December 16, 2016

A Parade for the Big Girl that Lindy Hops Too


A Parade for the Big Girl that Lindy Hops Too
Written By Julia 

The cats’ meow in your dancing garb, 
At the Renny; Savoy, and the segregated Cotton Club 
All eyes on me front and center 
I flipped him because I could
I was all woman, powerful and strong
In the imagery of how it used to be... Harlem was envogue 
and so were you
 Wishing I could be born again, 
as dancers like you Miller, Washington, Gibson and Watson
 and on an air step Saturday nights 
Bringing back Calloway, Ellington, and Basie 
 While at the dance camp and I could see them too 
The sight of you doing …
those jazzy African rhythms the cakewalk, blackbottom, boogie forwards, boogie backs or even the Big Apple would mesmerize any ballroom crowd 
He was smiling and in my smile there was a joy 
Something of an internal happiness drawing me to my own dance parade 
Hughes said it simply 
To fling my arms wide In the face of the sun, Dance! Whirl! Whirl! 
Till the quick day is done. 
Rest at pale evening... A tall, slim tree... 
Night coming tenderly Black like me.
 I am Dancing and Whirling and Dancing at the big girls parade.


2 comments:

Thanks for your commentary!